A Response to Why Young People are Leaving the church

why millenials are leaving the church as posted by Krista Cannon on chrisandkrista.org

I couldn’t disagree more. I just recently read this article about why young people are leaving the church. It is not the first of its kind and is most definitely not the last. We are getting the message that what young people want is a church that is catered to them. They want lights and sounds and fanfare. And that we, as a church, should come in to the 21st and accommodate them.

I couldn’t disagree more. This is not what young people want or need.

I am 26 years old and have been a member of the Church of Christ, well, my whole life. I grew up living and breathing the church and having the same dissatisfactions with the church that you discuss in your article. You’re right. Its outdated. Its based on the past and its hard to let go of traditions. And that’s frustrating. But the thing that is making young people leave the church is not the lack of “wow!” when you walk in the building. Its the lack of “wow!” we see in the church members’ lives.

Growing up the in the Church of Christ, we were given a lot of information. It’s true. We were taught about who Jesus was and how he acted. We read beautiful stories of God transforming people’s lives…over and over again. Then, we were old enough, and it was time to take action. I, personally, couldn’t help but get on the mission field. Its what I was called to do. And its very biblical. After college, I left to spend two years in Germany telling people about Christ.

In Germany, the churches are small and atheism is rampant. The biggest Church of Christ congregation was about 50 people. This was a big change from my church of 2,000 in Texas. Yet, the community found in this small group of people was amazing. The kids were all friends with each other. They spent holidays together and always knew it and felt it when someone was missing from worship. There were no YouTube videos or 3 screen setups or lights to dim. We just had a Bible, a songbook, and our voices. There was no money for anything else. In fact, this church right now can barely raise the money needed to build a new church building that is inevitable based on the age of the building and growth of the congregation.

The church in Germany was full of people who had given up a lot, some including their families, in order to follow Christ. And of course, they are churches like this all around the globe, in places where its much more dangerous even. Yet, the gift of Christ was so precious, so transforming to them, that they were willing to sacrifice whatever it took to follow him.

And how did the transformation occur? Through missionaries. Missionaries who were living it. They had given up their comfortable lives in America, in order to live as foreigners, learn the language, and minister to the people. Their willingness to sacrifice meant that they had something special. They had something worth sacrificing for and the people they were ministering to could see it. There are hundreds of thousands of stories like this from so many missionaries around the world.

And that’s the difference.

Young people, millenials, don’t want fanfare. We don’t want a three screen set up with Youtube videos to experience Christ. We want to be in a room with people who are willing to give up everything in order to be Christ to the world. We want to be in fellowship with doers not talkers. Our language is not lights and sounds- its action. Actions speak louder than words. We want to be a part of a church that is so sold out for Christ that they can’t help but live every moment proclaiming His glory to the world. We want a church that shouts the name of Christ from the rooftops. We want a church that celebrates Christ through sickness and in health. We want to see the fruits of the things that we are talking about.

We are the most educated generation on record. We know that studying is important. We have no problem taking in information. But that information is false, if the lives that have received that information are not transformed. We don’t want it to be false. We want to be the first century church that risked everything, because what they believed in was so real and true and good.

We don’t need a three screen set up to meet Christ, if we are meeting him in our brothers and sisters every day.

So, to the older generation, if you want to keep your kids and grandkids in the church, think about what it is God is calling you to sacrifice. Not everyone is called to be a missionary. But, everyone is called to something. Everyone is called to take up their cross daily and follow Christ. No matter the sacrifice. Stop talking about it. Start doing it. And your children will follow.

Small Disclaimer: Based on the response to this article, I wanted to just give a small disclaimer. I am in no way opposed to using technology as a tool. Also, I have the highest respect for James Nored and the suggestions he makes in his article. This article came from a place of wanting the younger generation to be represented in a different light. And if you couldn’t tell, I do feel quite passionately about it, but do not intend to disregard anyone else’s opinions, rather just be part of the conversation. Thanks so much for reading and responding!

Comments

1. says

Nicely said. If anything the technology, the professional music, and the lights and production are pushing people from the Church. There is a place for that, and it isn’t bad, but the truth is that the Church hasn’t been modeled. By our parents and by our grandparents. But now is the time for the Church to be the Church.

2. says

I think the point of your article is spot on about the millennial generation wanting to be part of a church that is willing to sacrifice. I also believe that millennials can easily detect when a church is not being a living sacrifice, whether that church appears as a relevant and trendy church or a church stuck in the waters of traditionalism. Having said that, it seems as though you misunderstand the article written by James Nored. It’s been a while since I read James’ article but I don’t recall the article suggesting that merely giving fanfare along with more lights and sound will keep young people in the church.

Grace and Peace,

Rex

• Krista says

Thanks for your comment. James has some great points in his article. To me, it’s the feeling that we as young people are the sum of our use of technology that inspired this post. It feels like we as young people are misrepresented in how we interact with church culture today with so many articles that talk about getting millennials back to church will happen once we start using more technology.

3. Annette McKinney says

Oh you took my thoughts and wrote them so well! My first thought when I read the blog you referred to was “Really? That means in all the countries that the gospel is being spread, they have to be electronically equipped to keep their members? Or even America?…. the WORD OF GOD must be lacking in the power it proclaims?!
    It IS in the power of the WORD being taught (not opinions or fluff) and the example and encouragement of the members & leadership!! Our congregation is GROWING in Rockwall, TX by new members every Sunday!! About 1,350 members that LOVE THE LORD…LOVE. EACH OTHER…LOVE THE POOR & THE LOST! We have no praise team, no musical instruments, no big screen TV’s…..
    Keep the message pure….care deeply for one another…teach, touch and include & use those awesome youth groups….
    It’s definitely not about just showing up on an occasional or every Sunday “warming a pew”! It’s about joyful hearts that haven’t just heard the gospel but burn to share that joyful message with others and to continually encourage each other with love.

• Krista says

Thanks Annette! I don’t think there is anything wrong with technology but agree that technology is just a tool.

4. kls says

Thank you for that heartfelt article! I so totally agree with you and hope that your message of transformed lives will be heard around the church!

5. Vicente Dubón says

Excellent remark. I am a christian of 26 years old. I live in El Salvador, Central America and even though the situation here is different (Atheism is not rampant and we still share a lot of roman chatolicism in our culture) I agree that we do not go to church to be entertained. We need a real and true relationship with God. If those who grow up and experience that and yet they leave the Church of Christ, then that is their decision. Good Comment and keep up the good work in your mission field.

• Linda says

God gave us his law through His Son and The Apositles, and The Bible. He hasn’t sent any changes that I know of and i have been a Christian for 62 years. Have taught for almost ALL of those Yrs. The Bible and His Law The New Testament has not changed and neither should we. We go to Church to worship Him not to be entertained. If we want changes, are bored,have no feeling in us, Then we need to look inside ourselves not try to change “The Church” or leave “The Church.” The Bible and Who The Church is and what we are to do is there for a reason. Why did God give us His law for then? Please read the new Testament. The first 4 books are about Jesus Life. Acts is about The establishment of HIS Church and the rest is about Jesus teachings, his miracles and how we are to live and conduct ourselves. Please just let The Bible be our guide not people adding things they think we should do. No one on earth has that authority. All said with Love

6. Jowe Albrecht says

I am a recently baptized member of the Church of Christ. I’m 77 years old, a retired Army officer, and have worked as a teacher, salesman, merchant, technical writer, and a janitor. I have heard the same phrase “we don’t come to church to be entertained.” I agree, but why DO we come to church? Jesus Himself used examples, illustrations, parables, and all the “media” available to Him to spread God’s word. Followers in those days were not assaulted by blaring music, vulgar language on television, radio, printed media, and in the various institutions of learning. His message, in short, was not garbled by the irresponsible, blaring, electronically-enhanced, money-motivated media. I perceive a very wise use of the media that were arrayed against Him by Jesus as he traveled far and wide – teaching people how to live Godly lives among those whose sensibilities had been arrested by the attraction of customs that disregarded the responsibility to live clean, wholesome, reverent lives. I think we need to view TV, projectors, sound systems, musical instruments, and every communications medium available to us as viable tools to bring the spirit of Christ’s teachings to our youth. We could continue as we are now doing, squeezing every ounce of the gospel into our church services
    , while ignoring the multimedia conduit to our children’s hearts.

• Krista says

Such a good point. And I agree. We should use technology. In fact, we should use any medium we can to reach people. But the heart of the issue of people leaving the church is not for lack of technology, in my opinion.

• says

I think the main thingies that while not everyone is called to be a missionary overseas, we are all called to be missionaries where we are at. I get so tired of the people who expect something to be done but don’t want to do any of the work. Church isn’t about the building or “the worship service,” but about the people.

• says

Also, your article reminds me of a sermon I herd by Bruce McLarty a long time ago. He said, we hold the world at arm’s length so w’re not of the world. But when the world moves, so do we, so that we are still holding them at arm’s length, until eventually, we are standing where the world once stood. But they are still an arm’s length away. (It was better with the visual.) ;)

• Krista says

Oh that is a really good point and something I was definitely trying to say. We need to evolve but tread carefully. We are in the world not of the world.

7. says

I agree so much with you. When people go to other lands and live as they have to live, they begin to understand exactly what it takes to follow Christ. Just the same, tho, there is missionary work here, if they are afraid to go overseas. They can just as easily give up their easy lives to live with the homeless and destitute we have here. They can give their time to help bring those with addictions out of the darkness. That is what my wife and I do. We bring Christ to those who actually know of Christ, but think they have lost all hope to have Him love them. Missionary work comes in many flavors. But to truly experience it, you must surrender all to Him, and live as those who you are reaching out to. We do the Celebrate Recovery here where I live.

8. says

We live in a society of “outsourcing.” Accountants say we can get something cheaper by paying someone else to manufacture the part than if we did it. Outsource customer “service.” As an individual, if I don’t want to clean house, get a cleaning service, don’t want to mow my yard, get a yard service, don’t want to cook, eat junk food. Outsource what I don’t want to have to mess with so I can do something of greater importance to me. How about an attitude of outsourcing of spiritual responsibility to “trained specialists” who have been hired for that. Do we think our spiritual commitment can be outsourced to a hour performance on Sunday morning? Do we act as though we think that way? Do I think I can outsource my process of sanctification to a “worship” experience put on by professionals using a higher and higher concentration of sensory overload for a hour,on Sunday? If the older generation is outsourcing its spiritual growth to those who can manufacture it better in an institutional setting – does anyone think the youth cannot see that? Three screens and disco lights and 130 db music is fine if it promotes people becoming more like God in true righteousness and holiness (Eph. 4:24). But if that’s the case, let’s see the product as fruit of righteousness and not just more people drinking coffee in the foyer. But if we are outsourcing our transformation by the Spirit by out-doing one another in appealing decor and technology — who do we think we’re kidding, other than ourselves? Maybe we need to start with an attitude adjustment — to “clean house” and stop eating “junk food.”

9. says

I also grew up in the church. My father was a great example of a Christian man. I say him many times studying his bible. We lived the Christian life every day at our house. As I got older a lot of the kids I grew up with were not faithful to The Lord. I had occasion to ask several why they were no longer active in church. Their answer was that church was what they dressed up and did on Sundays, but there everyday life was worldly, and they did not want to pretend any longer. Parents, the example you show your children WILL make an impression on them.

10. says

There was no technology on Golgotha. Only a man, who was, in every way, God in the flesh. His love flowed right along with his blood. There was no technology on Mars Hill, Only a man, who was, in every way, a true disciple. His love was as bold as the words he preached to the pagans there. There will be no technology on the Last Day. Only a man, with His holy angels, coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him – no technology needed.

11. Titus says

I’m not sure you can take personal missionary experiences in Germany and use them to address the American issue (the subject of Nored’s original articles). Although I don’t agree entirely with Nored, he does provide some good insights and shares evidence to support his claim in subsequent articles. If you agree that the church is “outdated” how do you suggest we make it relevant again? Is talking about sacrifice really your answer? Seems like another platitude, to me.

• Krista says

Thanks for your comment. Yeah, Nored had a similar thing to say. My point with comparing it my experience in Germany is that it seems to me we are often turning to things like technology for the answer and when you have seen that it can be done a different way, without the hope of even having those things, it really changes your mind. I am not at all against the use of technology or using any medium we have to reach people. Its just so hard to hear that they thing my generation is seeking is more technology at church to keep us in engaged. It feels like misrepresentation. The thing that I would like to see is creating an atmosphere where people feel like they can be themselves. I’d like to see us return to a focus on intentional, personal relationships.

• Titus says

Your point of view makes sense, but I still can’t wrap my head around the idea that the answer to the exodus of the generation in question should be based on your experiences in another country. I believe the church should resemble the community it serves; my experiences in Honduras or Ukraine cannot teach me what to expect during worship in America.

Do you believe that younger generations leave the church because of the lack of personal relationships? In my opinion, this thought is just as flawed as Nored’s. The church was designed to run autonomously; what works at one congregation does not necessarily work at all congregations. To suggest that the church (universal) can solve this issue with personal relationships makes sense to me, but I’ve been a part of enough different congregations to know that some are already doing it! We (all of the church) can’t cure the issues of apostasy or abandonment with one perfect solution. Because I don’t fully agree with Nored, I had a similar reaction when the original article was released (there are several in this series, by the way, that most of these rebuttals don’t address). I don’t consider your alternative a better response (Nored suggested far more tools than YouTube; do you think those other tools are just as useless?), and I still don’t think a missionary’s experience can be used as evidence to solve for the domestic issue at hand. No matter which way you spin it.

Appreciate the article, though. I hope more experience in the US gives you a better insight to this problem.

• Krista says

Thanks so much and good point. Each church should be focused on the problems within itself and focusing on ministering to its members. I don’t think that this article was meant to solve the overall problem, although I did get a little passionate while writing it! My point was just that there is more to it than technology. While the article that inspired this was Nored’s, there are so many more like it that suggest technology as an answer to a problem. Its a tool, not a an answer. And I agree, I write this from a very humble place :) I don’t claim to have all the answer but rather just to be part of the conversation!

• says

I agree with a renewed focus. We have a difficulty in communications because undefined terms are open to individual preconceived interpretations and, thus, to disagreements. The church is “outdated” with respect to what? With respect to technology or with respect to a call to holy living? What if — One church has song books and incandescent lighting and another church has flashing LED’s controlled by i-Pad infinitus with the worship apps “i-sit” and “wii-listen.” Is one church “outdated?” What if — Both churches ignore each other except to compete for members; both churches have the same conflicts that end up in the same rate of lawsuits and divorce as the world; both churches hire consumer marketing gurus to help them stop losing membership; both churches have split twice in the last 5 years; both churches pay 80% of their budget to building and real estate debt and to paid personnel and facility upkeep and 15% to missions and benevolence (and 5% for “outdated” Sunday school material), and both are centered on a top priority of doing everything right for 1 hour each week in the church building. Now which one is “outdated?” With respect to holiness, they both are. The call to holy living and transformation into the glory of God is not geographically specific — it’s just as relevant in Germany as in the US. Which place is the “mission field?” With respect to 1 Peter 2:9-12. is the church living as a “holy nation” for all to see? It’s possible that Jesus would just as likely be in the sound and projection booth as He would be going among the people teaching, praying, and healing, but one is easier to imagine than the other. It’s possible that having 3 screens would make us more like God, but it is certain that intentional, personal relationships based on the sacrificial love of Jesus Christ will make us more like God, because the scripture says so. That being said — It’s not technology vs. holiness, it’s “both/and.” If technology helps on the road to holiness and the fullness of the knowledge of Jesus Christ in the church, that’s great. If technology is used as a smoke & mirror replacement for holiness, that’s a big problem. Does it produce the fruit of righteousness? That is the question, not “outdated” technology. And that is what the youth and everyone else is looking for. If they vote with their feet, what does that tell us? Should we respond by cranking up the sound amplitude some more? The youth leaving is not the problem, it is a symptom of a problem. Address the problem — most of these types of discussions are off center. It’s like discussing whether to replace a burned out headlight on a car with a bulb or an LED when the car won’t run because the engine is shot and needs an overhaul.. Our attention is being diverted away from the Prime Directive for the church (Eph. 4:12-16).

• Krista says

Such a good point. And if we are focused on this, we should be in touch with our church members and knowing what they need and want in order to better connect with each other and with God!

12. Sam Middlebrook says

If the lights and sound are pushing people away from church, why are all of the fastest growing churches in America using them increasingly?

• Krista says

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your response. Sorry! I didn’t mean to say that technology is pushing away people from the church. And again, I think we should be using any mediums available to us. My point is that its not what is at the heart of the problem for my generation with church.

13. Shirley says

Thank you for your blog post and thank you for linking it to the article you are referring to. I read the article and I don’t perceive what you do. I think you are both right. The United States is not Germany and we have to be equally relevant to the culture we live in. I don’t think the author is saying Youtube is the answer; I think he is saying it is a means- and that is different. We also have to realize that young people are leaving the church in “media friendly” congregations as well. Yes, they need a “wow” in the way people live their life…bottom line! If I may share, I didn’t like that you started your blog with “I couldn’t disagree more.” I think you could have said the same message you shared, without using words that separate an already broken denomination. I don’t mean to be condemning and please forgive me if it sounds that way. I really mean well and I thought to point out that you are both speaking life in the perspective that God has shown you. We have to try to build bridges of communication even in the disagreements. I commend you for believing that God can move without the flashing lights and sounds, but I encourage you to let those more creative/artistic folks to use the flashing lights and sounds as a way to express how they were created. It’s not wrong, just different. The younger generation does have a language of lights, sounds AND action. If I could see your heart and the heart of the other author, I am sure you are both loving people, who passionately love God and are concerned for what is happening. Coming together as one would solve that, and that is part of the solution. Thank you for reading!

• Krista says

Hi Shirley,

Thanks for this thoughtful response. Yes, perhaps I should write a follow up article, as I don’t disagree with everything James said in his article. This post was actually written from a place of feeling very misrepresented, honestly. I am not at all against technology and did not mean to communicate that. I simply meant to say that technology is not the way to fix a deeper problem. And I meant no disrespect to James, but rather to just communicate a point that I am passionate about! I agree with. Lines of division are not at all what we want!! Thanks again for your thoughts.

14. Mike says

Definitely opimion from someone missing the big picture. Well meaning, yes, anecdotal as well. Seems a bit narrow.

• says

Should we be like a judge at the Olympics – holding up a 1 or 4 or 9? You know, to be fair to anyone who posts their articles on blogs, including Krista and James Nored, to write an article that is focused, understandable, passionate, convincing, retains the big picture, and addresses all the other aspects of the big picture so no one will take exception to what you don’t say is almost impossible. Oh, and add to that list, “succinct.” That’s what sinks me. That’s why I’ve got almost half a million words on web pages and I’m still trying to say something that makes sense! Constructive comments are the most helpful for everyone. Unfortunately, that doesn’t always happen.

15. Tracy McCann says

I don’t quite agree with this article. You’re saying that to keep us young people in the church, we have to give up our lives, and move to foreign nations? No, not exactly. Also, you’re just trying to eliminate the possibility that it is the problem with the lack of changing, and updating to accommodate the changes in society. They church NEEDS to evolve. The Church of Christ is majorly stuck in a legalistic view. Everywhere God doesn’t tell us something straight forward, the Church of Christ comes as God’s spokesperson, to fill in the blanks, or ad-lib for God. God doesn’t tell us these things for a reason, and we aren’t to search for the solution to God’s mysteries. It IS time for the church to evolve, and all you’re doing is encouraging the lack of growth. Be in denial as much as you want, like the rest of the church, but you know deep down that you need to change. The church needs to change.

16. edwin valencia says

Sister Krista’s opinion represents the deepest and broadest meaning of a Christian calling. Our Lord Jesus said, “If you love me, then do my commandments.” The greatest commandment of our Lord is to love our neighbor as God loves us. Christ gave up heaven and sacrifice Himself to help us enter heaven. When there is no action in our preaching about love, the message has no lasting effect.

17. Alan Blackburn says

Regardless of the generation, it takes all members of the body to represent the Church. Be truthful and honest, that’s what God expects of his children.

18. Jack L. Drain says

I think we may be missing some of the greatest truths in the Bible about “Christians.” Some think they can hire others (through the collection plate) to do their Christianity for them so we have a large number of Christians on the payroll. Nearly all have built walls between themselves and their brothers and sisters in Christ. In John 17, Christ prayed for three particular but powerful causes. First, Himself, second, for the men who worked with Him and third, all those who would become believers after Him.
    I believe God answered all three prayers. We are the third group and with that prayer, God gave us a universal unity. It is part of the Grace package as we call it today. It is men with the desire for power and money that have tried to separate us into divisive groups and Satan has cheered them on to slow the understanding of the truth. We have not been honest with our young people. They are not willing to accept the “old ways” and are searching for the message that unites us and encourages us to become what God wants…servants. The current training is to make “leaders” not servants. The word “servant” occurs more than 1000 times in the bible, the word “leader” less than 50 times and nearly always in a derogitive content. Thousands of preachers would lose their jobs if they taught this, but most of them know in their hearts this is true. We don’t have the authority, the duty, or the ability to decide who is going to heaven and who is not. With Baptism comes the Holy Spirit and that Spirit unites us all and no man can take it away from us. Read your own bible with these new eyes and see how it changes your life and the way you live. Unsaved people need to want what you have and see God in you. If you are
    an unhappy or contentious person, no one wants that! Share the Joy of your Faith and your works…
    all these other issues will dissappear.

19. Caryn says

HI! I’ve been a youth minister’s wife for nearly 16 years, a minister’s daughter my entire life, and I agree wholeheartedly that seeing the church LIVE as Christ is truly what young people need. We all need that. After a lifetime of church work, I can safely say that divorce, abuse, hate, jealousy, gluttony is as rampant in our churches as it is outside of our churches. Not one of us will escape sin, this is truth. Seeing God’s redemption and forgiveness and life-change is paramount in encouraging faith.

I do want to challenge you a bit, however. While you served the church in Germany, did you would impose an American ideal upon them? My assumption is no. American traditions or norms would not be relevant to their lives. They would not understand your mentality if you tried. My guess is, you wanted to meet the wonderful German people right where they live or at least, I hope so.

The same is true for an entire generation of Americans who are not simply walking out the doors of Churches of Christ; they are walking away from Jesus entirely. Read any Barna stats and you will find this to be true. You are exactly right, what they want to see is a church that truly lives out Christ. What they are finding are churches so entrenched in traditionalism and pew pleasing leaders that often the marginalized of society are forgotten and sermons are written completely for members who are life-long church goers. I would like to believe that the intentions of most Churches are pure in not wanting to bring in new technology or more relevant worship services, unfortunately in my experience, that is not the case. We do like to paint a pretty picture though. :)

We easily assume that our way of doing church, which was set in stone more than half a century ago (at least within the Churches of Christ), will somehow reach a generation of the populous that finds the majority of their information from technology as you admitted yourself. What I see here is a refusal to admit that this same technology could aid in bringing that populous in the door. We simply refuse because we don’t have to do it, and the apostles didn’t carry iphones after all. I feel that if we are going to be about seeking and saving the lost (or even seeking the saved) then we should absolutely jump on board with every single strategy to do just that. Is it essential? No. Does it help? Absolutely. Do song books help? Do microphones help? Does the written word of God printed on a printing press help?

I also have sweet memories of special worship moments that needed no additional help from technology, or praise teams, or big expensive buildings. I do not feel it is healthy to hold an entire society hostage or to hold them to that standard in a feeble attempt to recreate my memories.

Living our lives for Christ will always be paramount. You can have the most fabulous worship ever with the latest technology, but if you do not live holy, then it is all in vain. On that note, when making a call to live holy, calling out a brother in a public forum may not lend itself as the best strategy.

20. Katie Beth McCarthy says

I am grateful to hear another opinion on this…so thank you. I’m sure this will seem super weird and paradoxical…but I actually agree with both articles…this one and the one you are disagreeing with. I think the problem is multi-layered, multi-faceted and there are changes that should occur or we will continue down the road of demise. Where I worship, we use both tools – technology, screens, lights & praise team then we have a thriving small group system where we have house church one a week. And I LOVE both…and I have absolutely thrived with both. I don’t really see what is wrong with attracting young people in a culture we have created & perpetuated. I experience authenticity and true, Spirit-filled worship in both settings. It doesn’t have to be a traditional vs. progressive, either/or. Just my opinion :)…which is shaped by my experiences…which are unique and personal as all opinions/experiences are.

• Katie Beth McCarthy says

Oh – and I’m interested to see his Part 2. (The article I saw began with a “part 1″ label). I have a feeling he may very well echo some of your same sentiments. He very well might not…but I think it is best to hear the whole of someone’s argument before completely disagreeing. (But I’m one to talk…I am always doing that…and you very well could have read the part 2!). Not trying to be critical…just pointing it out…

21. Jeremy Potter says

Some of the best worship experiences have been groups of people huddled in a school or home, without technology. I tire of the rhetoeric that my generation leaves because of entertainment. The truth is that I have left churches that were decaying spiritually. I want a place where Christ is omnipresent in the people who worship him, not just when it was convenient or appropriate.

Share the joy! Leave a comment!