A Response to the Bikini Question: The responsibility of modesty

Photos from Rey Swimwear

Okay ladies! Swimsuit season is in full swing. Here in Germany…it honestly just started about two days ago. And of course, every year comes up the topic of the bikini. This year, Jessica Rey of Rey Swimwear has everyone buzzing about the Evolution of the Bikini.

I, personally, have never worn a bikini. A tankini, of course, but no bikinis for me. This is not a religious conviction or because I am such a good girl. It is pure insecurity about my body and doing whatever it takes to cover it up! But, I hope, that even without this insecurity I would still be so convicted to be modest.

I love this article from Made In His Image on the subject and I’d like to expand on it.

I would like specifically to speak to some of the comments on this article and many others like it. It seems that when the issue of modesty comes up, many people jump immediately on the defense, saying that lines of reasoning that require women to be modest and think about the way they dress are the same lines of thinking that lead us to say that scantily clad women had it coming when they were raped.

Woah. Hold it right there.

That is a big step from wanting to encourage modesty in all women to women who dress immodestly deserve what they get.

We are missing the point.

In other words, it’s not your responsibility what a rapist does, or what other cultural norms are or what men do, or what other women do. It’s your responsibility what you do.

You have the right to do whatever you want to do. You are free. You are free to talk, dress, eat, decide, live in whatever way you see fit.

But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.
1 Corinthians 8:9 (ESV)

Meaning: Freedom doesn’t absolve you from responsibility to your fellow human beings.

For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
Galatians 5:13 (ESV)

So, when we are talking about the issue of modesty, who are you serving in the conversation? By jumping on the defense are you serving yourself or are you taking the time to seriously ask yourself how you can serve others in everything you do- including what you wear?

Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.
1 Corinthians 8:13 (ESV)

Check out this video by Rey Swimwear creator Jessica Rey for more thoughts on the issue.

I love her message and I love her goals with her swimwear line. Here are a couple of my favorites and up on the top of my wishlist!

Photo by Rey Swimwear

Photo by Rey Swimwear

This post may be connected with these sites

Opt In Image
Stay Connected with the Cannons!
Sign up now to receive our newsletter!

Don't ever miss out on what's going on with Chris and Krista. Sign up now to receive beautiful periodic newsletters.

Comments

1. says

I love the line: “are you taking the time to seriously ask yourself how you can serve others in everything you do…?” I think about that often when addressing the goals of my blog.

2. says

Just like I think too, my body is not meant for all to see, not my bum not my boobs. I like to keep private “matters” private. More so, I don’t want to be the reason anyone stumbles, cannot face God with that. Thanks a lot for sharing.
    Visiting from Titus Tuesday, have a super blessed day!
    Love

3. says

Very well said.
    I appreciate the scriptures you shared.
    And I look forward to have a look at this swimsuit line. It’s been a frustration thing, looking for swim wear from my daughters and myself. Thank you!

• Krista says

Thanks! Let me know if you decide to purchase. I can’t purchase one right now, but I would love to know what people think of the fit and quality. They are just so cute!!

4. says

This is so fitting for my life right now! I was just telling my husband yesterday that this is the first year I don’t think I will be wearing a bikini. Not that I think its a “Sin”. I am just ready to be more modest. A friend told me on subject about clothing its best to let the Holy Spirit do the conviction. That has proven to be good advice in my life.

• Krista says

Really good advice, Shelly! I’m glad this was fitting to you right now! Thanks for visiting 🙂

5. says

I just read the Jessica Rey article yesterday! I am old enough to be your mother’s 🙂 but I loved what you had to say and I think the new line is just simply adorable! And it brings back sexy! I was so shocked to read in her article that with the original bikini they had to get a stripper to model it because no other model would put one on in public…I am not judging at all, just saying where we have come from. I think it would be awesome to turn the tide!

• Krista says

Thanks, Nannette! My husband was the one who actually found the video and he was like- you have to watch this! It was really interesting to hear how unpopular it was at first. I wonder what things we think that about today that in 40 years will be totally in fashion?

6. says

Very well put. This is really the heart of the matter both for and against modesty…

“The point is that the only person in this entire world that you can control is yourself.

End of story. You can help, you can influence, you can support others. But the only person you have power over is you. ”

And here is the corollary to this – We aren’t here to judge others. Regardless of where you fall on the modesty spectrum we have to live how we are convicted to live. We can’t control anyone’s sin but our own; not our spouse’s, parents, brother’s, sister’s, children’s, friend’s or stranger’s and that is how God intended it.

And that is a tough lesson that many never understand.

• Krista says

Yes! That is so true! And so biblical, in my opinion. We have to look inward first and then we can look outward. But I read a quote that was something like- the hardest journey we will ever make is the one inward.

Thanks for your thoughts and for stopping by, Shelly!

7. says

Thanks, Krista. I love your message. I also try to teach my daughters how the clothing they select effects those around them. I want them to be respected for who they are, not treated as objects because of what they wear. I also want boys to feel comfortable and safe with them. They don’t need any more temptation!

• Krista says

Thanks, Heidi (mom) ;)! I totally agree and I know how hard it is to make that decision, when it is not always popular. I told my teenage sister-in-law that she doesn’t realize how much influence she really has and how making that decision could affect her friends!

Trackbacks

Share the joy! Leave a comment!